Foods are not only to satisfy people’s cravings but it can also put people together. Filipinos love to mingle with other people. They love to have a get together with their families and friends. Food is a must on each get together whether in big gatherings or just a small get together with a long lost friend.
- 1 FILIPINOS’ TRADEMARK FOOD
- 2 FILIPINO FOODS PERFECT FOR BIG OCCASION
- 3 THE FILIPINO RECIPE
FILIPINOS’ TRADEMARK FOOD
When a person with different nationalities visits the Philippines, Filipinos make sure that they serve Adobo, the popular Filipino food.
How to serve adobo
Adobo’s ingredient includes:
1 kilo pork meat, cut into cubes.
1 whole garlic, minced
2 pieces dried bay leaf.
2 tbsp peppercorn
A pinch of salt
½ cup soy sauce
¾ cup vinegar
¼ cup water
2 tbsp sugar [optional]
- In a deep pan, fry the minced onion and the meat.
- When the meat is rarely done pour the water and bring to a boil.
- After boiling, pour the vinegar and soy sauce.
- Season with peppercorn, salt, sugar and dried bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Wait until the meat is tender.
To achieve the perfect Adobo when cooking with vinegar do not stir until it boil to avoid having a raw taste of vinegar and to have a tender meat, stir fry first meat then boil it before putting all the ingredients.
FILIPINO FOODS PERFECT FOR BIG OCCASION
Filipino loves to celebrate special occasion and every occasion Filipino families serves special Filipino cuisines to their guests. A choice of viands, desserts and sometimes a Lechon is in the choices as well.
How to Pancit Malabon
1lb thick rice noodles
½ lb boiled and sliced pork belly
½ cup diluted achuete seeds
¾ cup shrimp juice
3 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
½ tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 medium sized minced onion
¼ cup pounded chicharon
½ lb shelled and halved lengthwise shrimp
¼ lb sliced adobo squid
½ cup pounded chicharon
1 cup chopped cabbage
¾ tinapa flakes
3 pcs sliced hard boiled eggs
1 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp toasted garlic
- Boil the noodles until the noodles are soft. Drain it and set aside.
- In a pan, stir fry all the garlic, onion and pork belly. Then add the patis, pepper corn, diluted achuete seeds, shrimp juice and the chicharon. Bring to a boil.
- When already done, place the pancit to a plate then the sauce and add the topics according to the design that you like.
How to prepare Lumpiang Shanghai
¼ kilo ground pork or beef
1 grated carrot
1 finely chopped onion
A bunch of finely chopped kintsay [flat leaf parsley]
2 tbsp flour
½ tsp iodized salt
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Put a mixture in a lumpia wrapper and wrap it carefully. Seal the wrapper by putting water at edge of the wrapper. Do it in every roll.
- Deep fry the lumpia rolls until golden brown.
- Drain it in paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Serve it with ketchup, chili sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
2 lbs pork
½ lb pig’s liver
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
½ cup soy sauce
½ piece lemon
1 chopped onion
3 gloves minced garlic
¾ cup tomato sauce
1 cup water
4 pieces sliced hotdogs
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 dried bay leaves
- Marinate the pork with soy sauce and lemon for 1 hour
- In a pan, sauté the garlic and onion
- Add the marinated pork, potato and carrots. Cook it for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce, water and the dried bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer it. Let it cook until the pork is tender.
- Add the pork’s liver and hot dog. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Put the salt and pepper according to your prefer taste. Stir and cook for 8 to 12 minutes.
These dishes are the usual Filipino dishes that you can see in every Filipino family’s occasions. The dishes are served in a buffet style.
THE FILIPINO RECIPE
The recipe of those dishes has an influence from other races but Filipino put a Filipino’s touch in it to satisfy the Filipino’s taste. The Filipino recipes sometimes changes depending on the cooking style of the cook. Sometimes the recipe is simple and sometimes the recipe is special depending on the occasion and the budget of the family.